- Not to be confused with Kitarō's family, the Ghost Tribe
|This article is a stub. You can help the GeGeGe no Kitarō Wiki by expanding it.|
While many yōkai have acted as allies to Kitarō in the original manga and across the many adaptations, the Kitarō Family is generally considered to refer only to the core group of allies who appear in all or most works.
- NOTE: Manga starting points refer to each character's first appearance in the Shonen Magazine version, as that is considered the beginning of the heroic era of the franchise.
- Kitarō - Beginning with the manga story The Birth of Kitarō and the 1968 anime.
- Medama-Oyaji - Beginning with the manga story The Birth of Kitarō and the 1968 anime. Medama-Oyaji is knowledgeable in most things yōkai and as such usually provides information on each villain yōkai.
- Nezumi-Otoko - Beginning with the manga story Neko-Sennin and the 1968 anime. Nezumi-Otoko constantly betrays Kitarō and the Family but is always let back in the group, whether because he has a change of heart, Kitarō forgives or simply so Shigeru Mizuki can keep the status quo.
- Neko-Musume - Beginning with the 1971 anime. Neko-Musume did not appear regularly in the Shonen Magazine series or the 1968 anime but became a main character in the 1971 anime and has been ever since.
- Sunakake-Babaa - Beginning with the manga story The Great Yōkai War and the 1968 anime. She generally acts as the doctor and mage of the team while also running the Yōkai Apartments.
- Konaki-Jijii - Beginning with the manga story The Great Yōkai War and the 1968 anime. He is primarily a fighter but has been known to provide information on enemy yōkai much like Medama-Oyaji.
- Ittan-Momen- Beginning with the manga story The Great Yōkai War and the 1971 anime. While he made a handful of appearances in the 1968 anime, Ittan-Momen didn't appear regularly until the 1971 series. He primarily acts as transportation for Kitarō but is also a good enough fighter that he has been trusted to lead teams into battle occasionally.
- Nurikabe - Beginning with the manga story The Great Yōkai War and the 1971 anime. Like Ittan-Momen, Nurikabe rarely appeared in the 1968 anime, but appeared more frequently in the 1971 series. Nurikabe's main role in the team is to act as a shield.